Welcome to the first of my quick writing updates. The purpose of these updates is to give you a small window into my progress and my process, while also forcing myself to remain accountable to someone–anyone–to sit down and actually do the work.
I must say, I’m proud of my writing progress these past couple weeks. It feels rare and refreshing to feel proud.
Admittedly I didn’t have a big word count for my novel, and I certainly didn’t write every day, but I was able to:
- Write 660 words of an essential character development scene from my main character’s past, which finally got me to the 19k-word threshold
- Revisit a short story I wrote seven years ago in college
- Submit that story to an Irish beta reader, who gave me great reviews and, more importantly, generous and helpful feedback
- Edit that story for more accurate cultural references and idioms
- Send that story to four friends I trust so that they can give suggestions for revision
- Connect with one of those friends over the phone, who has now connected me with a writing person in the Austin area
- Sign up for a virtual writing happy hour and lecture on revision by a Writer-in-Residence at Texas State University (happening tonight)
- Write this blog post!
So I have good reason to be happy with myself! It feels really empowering to be proactive when it comes to my creative writing, especially when I’m focusing more on intentionally putting the time in than a particular word count, and when I have multiple projects to work on to avoid boredom.
In the next couple weeks, I hope to:
- Write more words toward my novel
- Make revisions from the feedback on my short story
- Research journals or mags where I can submit that short story
- Connect with that Austin-area writing person (and other people)
That’s it for my first quick writing update. Until next time!
Current Novel Word Count: 19,417 What I'm Writing: Working on that same darn scene from the novel. Making revisions to my short story. Weird Writerly Topics I've Googled This Week: patron saint of pregnancy ireland, quickening, what do people living in kerry ireland do for work Writing Exercises I've Done: Nothing this week. What I'm Reading: Native by Kaitlin Curtice; How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi. I finished Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward last week and wow. That book will haunt me for a very long time. I also devoured and finished The Guest List by Lucy Foley. Total page-turner, and anyone who knows me knows I'm a sucker for the macabre, Ireland, and a murder mystery. Gotta find a new fiction book to read. What I'm Listening To: "Exile" by Taylor Swift ft. Bon Iver, "Cairo, IL" by Natalie Hemby, "Kyoto" by Phoebe Bridgers